Saturday, February 20, 2010

Les Miserables

Day 4 of the 30 Day Challenge - Your Favorite Book

I am such a loser when it comes to books. In my 29 years of existence, I have only read a few books from cover to cover, excluding textbooks I was forced to read in school. I just didn't have that much time to really read a lot. Yes, I know it's a lame excuse. It's kinda ironic too, considering I've authored a reference book a few years ago.

Another irony is that my favorite book is the longest book I've ever read. It took me more than a month to finish it but I consider finishing it as an accomplishment for me. I forced myself to read it when I joined the musical just so I can understand the story and the characters better. It helped me tremendously.

Yes, my favorite book is the source of my favorite musical: Les Misérables by Victor Hugo.

Although there are a lot of parts that are boring, it's a good read overall.


Before him he saw two roads, both equally straight;
but he did see two; and that terrified him
--he who had never in his life known anything but one straight line.
And, bitter anguish,
these two roads were contradictory.

-Les Misérables (p.1320)

No comments: