Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Finding Our Voices

"Glee club will never be lost because you are Glee club, Mr. Schue"

That line from the season finale of Glee brought tears to my eyes, and brought back a lot of memories, good memories from my not-so-distant past, 6 years ago to be exact. I was still a college professor back then, and teaching in a state college (now a state university) where most of the students where from the middle and lower classes. My sister on other hand was college student in the most prestigious university in the city, and we both decided to form our own theatre company.

Our pioneer members then were my sister's classmates and friends, and my very own students. I can still remember the first few days of rehearsals when my students were packed in one corner of the room, heads down and not saying a single word. They were intimidated by the members from other schools, thinking that they were inferior compared to the rest. Most of them even wanted to quit.

As we did a lot of workshops and activities, they slowly came out from their shells and during performance night, they showed a lot of energy and promise, and performed their hearts out. They brought their newly-found confidence into their studies, and eventually, into their lives. During their graduation, I was surprised and deeply touched when they thanked me for giving them a chance to find their voices.

What they don't know is that in helping them find their voices, they've helped me find mine.

No comments: