Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Last Airbender Rocked!

A lot of people, so-called "fans" of the Avatar series, hate The Last Airbender movie. I saw the movie last night and I personally love it. I mean, it was everything that I expected and even more. The introduction alone blew me away, and I was teary-eyed towards the end of the movie. Yes, the acting of some of the lead actors were not Oscar-material, but it wasn't that bad! C'mon, Noah Ringer got the role of Aang because of his martial arts skills and his resemblance to the cartoon Aang, and not because of his acting skills.

It is never easy to compress 20 episodes of Book 1 into 103 minutes of movie running time, but I salute the director that almost everyone hated. The movie was fast-paced, no dull or really dragging moments, and faithful to the series. There were some changes here and there, but it didn't ruin the story as one of my former officemate ranted in Facebook. He disagreed with my post about the movie, but his issues were nonsensical, almost-childish. He's just like the other haters who are so nit-picky that they're already out of line. Haters will always be haters, and critics will continue to criticize and dissect every little detail of the movie, instead of just enjoying it as it is. People have and will continue to bitch about every little detail that they don't like about the movie. That will show you the type of people they are. Every single person have the choice, and a lot chose to be pessimistic about it.

I love how they cut from scene to scene to save time and maximize the running time of the movie. I will not mention any spoilers here for those who have yet to watch it, but I can really say it surpassed our expectations. Just watch the movie with an open-mind that it is based on the cartoon series, and NOT a replica of the cartoons. It was never meant to be a replica because if it was, what's the point of making the movie anyway?

As a fan, I remember not being blown away after watching Book 1 alone, but only after watching the 3 books in the series, after watching the entire series. I just want to remind everyone that the movie is just Book 1. There are at least 2 more bigger and darker movies to look forward to. They are already writing the script for the second movie, and I hope that the studio will give the go signal in the next months to do Book 2.

In the end, I'm just thankful that one of the best cartoon series there was, was made into a movie and they did their best which I appreciate very much.

No comments: