Friday, May 22, 2009

Dr. Eliseo Canton

On March 19, 2009 - the Feast of St. Joseph, Dr. Eliseo H. Canton, succumbed to cardiac arrest at 10 PM. He was a teacher and adviser before becoming the Registrar of Don Bosco Technical High School / Don Bosco Technology Center, and later on became the first dean of the college before leaving to open his own school.

He was a good man and a superb educator. He will be missed by everyone whose lives he touched once upon a time.

I got the picture and the news about Dr. Canton's death from Fr. Nioret, who shared something I'm sure he'll never forget...

I do not know if this is worth sharing. Anyway take this in whatever way you wish.

Last Sunday morning I went to see the remains of Dr. Canton. I never been to his St. Anthony Learning Center in Talisay, so before leaving, I called up the school and got instructions on how to get there. "On the left side of the road before Talisay Central School... there is a sign" was what the man on the phone told me.

So I took the jeepney for Talisay from McDonald's-Mambaling. After maybe 30 minutes, as the jeepney finally turned left for the last stretch of road going to the Poblacion of Talisay, I turned to look out at the left side of the jeep to see if I can recognize the learning center. I looked and I looked and I looked without any luck, until the jeep just stopped. When the jeep stopped l turned to look back inside the jeep to see if anyone is going down. I definitely did not call for the stop. Neither did I hear anyone call for the stop. There was a brief moment of waiting for whoever's going down. But no one was going down from the jeep. I looked at the left side again and there I saw the sign "St. Anthony Learning Center". I immediately alighted and when I did the jeepney moved on.

Question: was Dr. Canton making sure I don't miss his school?

No comments: