Sunday, May 3, 2009

Proud to be Pinoy


Case Closed.

Manny Pacquiao just cemented his place in history as the Best Pound-for-Pound boxer in the world, even better than Floyd Mayweather, Jr., the undefeated champion who previously owned the pound-for-pound title. And looking at Mayweather and Pacquiao's last fights, it's not even close. He may be smaller, but he's way too talented than Floyd. Pacquiao's speed and power are just incomparable.

As expected by most, Pacman demolished the Hitman, Ricky Hatton of Britain. What was not expected though was how fast it took for Manny to do it. Hatton hit the canvass thrice, the third one was the most fatal. All in all, Pacman destroyed the Hitman in less than two rounds (359 seconds) of their mega-fight in Las Vegas, Nevada. Before the fight, Hatton was very cocky and arrogant in saying that he'll be Pacman's biggest opponent in the ring. He failed to mention that he'll also be the worst, the fastest to fall among Pacman's opponents.

Just another reason to say how proud I am to be a Filipino. And not only because of Pacman's impressive win, but also because my idol, my greatest musical influence, Martin Nievera, was the one who sang the Philippine National Anthem and he sang it the way it's supposed to be sung. It was an excellent decision by Pacman in choosing Martin, as it was Tom Jones himself who sang Britain's National Anthem, God Save the Queen. Martin's version was both amazing and inspiring. I've listened and sang Martin's songs all my life, but his version of the Lupang Hinirang gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it, and take note, it was approved by the National Historic Institute. In singing the song, he wore a Three Stars and a Sun shirt under his sports jacket. The shirt was designed by the late-great Francis M.


After Manny chose him, Martin said, "My role is very, very small, although in my career it's very, very big because I feel that the national anthem is actually the round one. And I have to get the first punch with a great performance sana, great delivery, great interpretation, of the 'Lupang Hinirang.'"

And before I forget, WWE Champion Batista was beside Manny when he walked from the locker room to the ring. Another Filipino doing good in the world stage. Another reason to make us proud.

Mabuhay Manny! Mabuhay Martin! Mabuhay Dave (Batista)!

No comments: