Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Missing Les Mis

I miss Les Mis. I miss everything about it. I was a part of the cast of Les Miserables from 1995 to 2002, and was fortunate enough to do different roles in that span. In those 7 years, we had a lot of changes with the cast, directors and crew. I stayed because I loved Les Mis, I loved the story, the characters, the songs, and most of all, I loved performing it. I was also very fortunate to have shared the stage with a lot of talented individuals who eventually moved on and became successful in showbiz.

Michael Luke Mejares once played Jean Valjean before he became the lead vocalist of South Border, Sheryn Mae Regis was once part of our ensemble before she joined Star in a Million, Rochelle 'Raki' Vega once played Eponine before she joined Born Diva, Christian Rey Marbella once played Marius before he joined Miss Saigon in Manila and London,and Randolph Libres once played Enjolras before he appeared in commercials and local programs like For Life, Philippine Idol and Milyonaryong Mini. Jimmy Marquez, who was a finalist in Search for a Star in a Million, was supposed to join us also before but had scheduling conflicts with their school's dramatics guild. Many others joined different productions after Les Mis and were able to go on tour around the world. Still some others went on to be successful with their careers in other fields.

Seven years after I sang my last note in Les Mis, I am still listening to the songs and yes, I have still memorized all the lines of all 44 songs. I would really like to do Les Mis again. If it were up to me, I would like to have a sort-of reunion show with my former co-thespians before, as well as new friends who either have the talent or the potential. I would like to do a show that will benefit the Cebu Cancer Fight, Inc., where my mother is one of the members being a cancer survivor herself. There's only one thing that I lack in order to make this a reality: funds to start with. I know a lot of companies and individuals are willing to sponsor the show when the rehearsals will start, I just don't have the budget so we can start the ball rolling. I am praying and hoping something will happen so I can make this a reality. I want to share Les Mis to a new generation of theatre audience who have not seen the beauty of the story, its characters and its music. It's simply timeless.

Pray for me that we would be able to push through with doing Les Mis again before this year ends, or early next year. It is too beautiful for the new generation not to be able to experience it.

No comments: