Saturday, June 27, 2009

Michael Jackson (1958 - 2009)

Shocked would be an understatement on how I felt when a text message from a college friend informed me of Michael Jackson's death. How can he die? He was immortal. He was all-powerful. He was a King. To a lot of people, he was even regarded as God-like. Then a line from Lex Luthor (from Superman: Doomsday) occured to me, "...there comes a time when even Gods must die."

I am greatly affected by his death because growing up, he was my very first musical influence and inspiration. Before I started singing, I was already dancing, and I was dancing to the King of Pop's songs. I did the moonwalk when I was still elementary, and when I started singing, one of the very first songs I sang in public was Will You Be There?, MJ's masterpiece which was also the theme song for the first Free Willy movie.

A lot has been said about him, he was not perfect, in fact, a lot of times, his flaws and his human side overshadowed the good things he has done. But one thing I will always remember him by: GENIUS. I will always be thankful and proud that I have witnessed his greatness in my lifetime. My children and my children's children will continue to listen and appreciate MJ's music. His legacy will live on. He transcended race and color. His songs were works of art.

For your songs, for your dances, for your music, for the inspiration, for the memories... I'm thankful that I have been able to watch you growing up... Continue moonwalking Up There, MJ...

No comments: