Saturday, July 25, 2009

I Believed

I watched Believe the Pop Musical last night and it was good. I honestly cannot say it was great because the story was common and almost all of the songs used in the play were known pop songs like Because of You, Bring Me to Life, You Raise Me Up, etc., but it was something different at the same time, and there were really touching moments.

Keith Martin was his usual self, his role didn't really require him to act. His singing was as usual, amazing to say the least. I love this guy a lot! I texted him before the show started and somehow, he was still able to reply right away. Just showed how relaxed he was a few minutes before the curtains opened. Would love to share the stage with him.

Radha has always impressed me with her amazing voice ever since her Kulay days, her guest appearance in one of Martin Nievera's concerts, up until she went solo. Her acting was good, and her singing was even better. I love her songs in Believe, and I love how she sang them.

Isabella was very natural. It was like she was playing herself in the play. Her voice in her songs was something I haven't heard from her before. She sounded different in a good way. I was able to feel the emotions while she was singing her songs. Though her mom is a Diva, I personally think Izzy is destined for a different road, theatre.

Mae Ann was amazing. She was the brightest star that night. Meeting her during the PressCon and seeing her in Believe, she was just different. Just shows how she transformed herself and got into her role. She brought me to tears with her voice and her overflowing emotion throughout the play. It's so nice to know that like me, she too is an educator aside from being active in theatre. She's one person I would like to work with someday.

Guji didn't have that much to work with in the first place. Based on his impressive background, I know he would have been great if his role was bigger and deeper. In fairness, he was impressive and was able to make the most with what he was given. Looking forward to seeing him in more productions because he certainly has it all.

Marq was okay. He didn't have any acting parts in the play, while about his singing, I thought he still has a lot of room for improvement. He knows how to sing but his voice is still a little rough on the edges so to speak. With great musicians and singers surrounding him, he has the potential to make it through soon. He already has the looks and the potential in his voice, just needs a few minor tweaks here and there and he'll have it all.

Benjie was also okay. I thought his delivery could have been more natural, but he sounded like he was conscious with the pronunciation and enunciation of his lines. His singing is okay, heard he was in a band before. Maybe that's why his singing is better than his acting. A few more practices with the English language and he will be delivering his lines with more conviction in the near future.

Overall, it was a nice experience. The tickets were quite expensive though, maybe that's why a lot of seats were vacant. I would love to watch it again tonight but I have to go back to work after two busy and hectic restdays.

No comments: