Saturday, March 27, 2010

Tell the World of His Love

Day 7 of the 30 Day Song Challenge - A song that reminds you of a certain event

The World Youth Day in Manila 15 years ago is an event I will always remember as long as I live. Not only was it the first time for an Asian country to host the event, it was also Pope John Paul II's second and last visit to the Philippines.

I remember the Pope arriving at the airport and then riding his Pope Mobile, going around Manila waving and blessing everyone. Everyone who saw the Pope that day cried. You can really feel the presence of the Lord in him. I'm crying now as I remember him telling everyone how much he loves the Philippines and promises to return. I cried so hard watching him go up the stairs to the plane. He would have kept his promise 8 years after but he was prevented by his failing health.

The closing mass at the Luneta Park was attended by more than 5 million people, the largest Papal gathering in Roman Catholic history.

Before the event, there was song writing competition for the event's theme song, and though all the finalists were beautiful, the winner truly deserved it. Tell the World of His Love composed by the amazing Trina Belamide and sung by Jeff Arcilla and Raquel Mangaliag is one of the most touching songs I've heard in my life.


We miss you, JP II (+)

No comments: